- Realize that the anticipation of pain on the holiday is often greater than what is actually felt.
- Talk to your family and children about what is important to make the holiday meaningful and bearable.
- Change things up this year, you can go back to old traditions next year or move onto new ones.
- Do something symbolic. Think about including rituals that symbolize the memory of your loved one.
- Reminisce about your loved one. Write them a letter, tell stories and welcome in their memory.
- Give yourself permission to experience some joy. This helps your children see that life continues beyond the pain. Remember - Having fun does not mean that you don't miss your loved one.
- Do something special for someone in need in your loved ones honor.
When the rest of the world is occupied with holiday joy and festivities, those who have lost a loved one are facing a hole in the their hearts that often feels as it will consume them. We at The Hope and Healing Place certainly understand those feelings and would like to pass along a few tips that will help mourners get through these times.
Join Our Email List